Caught in a downpour!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

"The Mission is an amazing experience!"

January 30, 2010 - Hey Delightful Delicous and Delovely Family,
The work is getting much better. Now that I have been able to leave and have a companion that is able to help me out, we are starting to have a lot of progress. We are starting a plan of working with the less-active families and help them out. We want to activate these families so that the ward just keeps getting stronger. We want the members to start living more spiritual experiences. And by doing this, the ward will become more unified. And working with the less-active families is also good because there are many members of the family that aren’t baptized. So by activating the family, we also get the result of having baptisms. We are having a lot more lessons and starting to find some more people to baptize. I feel a lot better about leaving and teaching because I am more motivated. It is great to have members that are encouraging us to teach their sons and daughters, friends and neighbors, and we are enjoying the work a lot more. So just know that I am doing fine. The work is going good. I had a really special moment this week. I got another card from the Sandoval-Hidalgo Family from Iquitos, my Iquiteñan Mom and Dad. They are such a special family that I always have on my mind. They are doing way good. They just got settled down in a new home in another part of Iquitos. So we and they are moving at the same time. :) Letty, the Mom, is the one that wrote the letter. She says that their family is doing great and that they are happy with their new ward. They are still waiting for Jose to get his Mission Call, and she says that they will write me the second they get it to tell me where he’s going. It was so good to receive that letter. They sent me a picture of their family and they look so happy. They say that they will never forget me and that I am always in their prayers. She even said that for Christmas, they made a toast with hot chocolate in my name. I love them to death. I have to admit that I got a little teary-eyed when I was reading the letter because I miss them a ton and can’t wait to see them again. I have to get back to Iquitos. I have to see that family again. You are going to love them. So I got almost done with my huge January Personal Secretary Project. Sister Campian, the lady that helps me out with my work, came yesterday and we worked for about two hours getting everything ready to turn in to the government. I had a lot of late nights this week and I was in the bank for two hours on Thursday, but I got the job done. President kept passing by yesterday saying, “still working Elder Quinn?”, and I would just say, “Yep. Gotta get the job done.” I’m a hard worker and I don’t stop until the job is done. I love my job. It is so fun being President’s Personal Secretary. :) We went with Sister Campian in the morning today to help her out with all of the documents she had to do. It was a ton of fun. President invited us to lunch today to celebrate Sister Pérez’ Birthday which was on the 24th. We went to La Bistecca. It was a great all-you-can-eat meal, and I think that I ate more than I ever have at that restaurant. :) Then, President and Sister Pérez surprised us by taking us to The Park of Legends, which is like a huge Peruvian Zoo with all of the regions of Peru included. There were tons of animals to see, and it was so much fun to just walk and talk with Sister and President Pérez. My favorite animal was the hippopotamus. There was a dad, a mom, and a baby hippo. The baby was so cute. But by far, my favorite part was when we all took a picture with all of us dressed up in Peruvian outfits. We were laughing so hard at each other. (I’m sending the picture home. You’re going to love it.) :) We were gone all day long, from 8:00 in the morning until 7:00 at night. It was a long, enjoyful, fun and exciting day. :) DAVEY’S HOME!!! How exciting was it to see Davey come home? I bet it was so good. He is such a stud. I am so thankful for the example he was to me. I honestly think that a big reason that I came on the Mission was because Davey was already serving. It made it so much easier to make the decision. I am so thankful for his example and for the strength that he gave me, just knowing that both of us were leaving everyday together to preach the Gospel to the world. And now, I just have to keep going strong and endure to the end, which is only nine months away because… I hit 15 MONTHS!!! It feels great. The time is just flying by. Every month that passes by amazes me. It honestly feels like a dream, a dream full of wonderful experiences that I can’t wait to share with you guys in person. The Mission is an amazing experience. I love it!!!
The emotions just get to us as Quinns. It’s a thing we can’t avoid. When the moment comes to cry, we just let it out. And I can’t deny it at all. Crying is a great thing… Family, go have an awesome time at Davey’s Homecoming tomorrow, and don’t cry too much. Don’t forget that you’ve got a special Missionary in Peru… :) Happy Birthday Chase!!! You’re 18 this week. That means that you are going to be a legal adult. How weird is that? You are growing up too fast Bud. It really is amazing how time passes. Before you know it, you’ll be graduating…with High School Musical running through your mind. I love you Bud and want you to have the best Birthday ever. You’re the funniest kid ever Chase. Never forget that I love you. Take care this week and have a great Birthday! Leslie’s dad is coming down to Peru. Wahoo!!! I am so excited. I love you so much. I am going to send a package home with him, so please make sure that that is okay with him as well and let me know before tomorrow. About the i-Pod…just send a KSL used one that doesn’t cost you guys too much. Put all of our music on it, including especially the Church music, so that we can listen to it all the time. I am going to use this one. I will give Elder Chocooj the one that I have right now. He is going to love it, just receiving an i-Pod. He deserves it. I don’t want him to have to pay because I love him too much. He took care of me so much at the beginning of my Mission. I know he will be happy with the one that I give him. Don’t forget that I probably need to give him a charger for the i-Pod to plug into the wall. This will be a special gift for him. Thanks for your help. Oh, and about the baby doll…if you want to send one, that would be fine with me. But it isn’t necessary. And like the Michael Jackson song says, “it doesn’t matter if [it’s] black or white.” We aren’t racists down here Mom. I love you tons. I love you Family. You are the best family on earth. Don’t ever forget that I love you beyond what words can describe. Have a fun day tomorrow. Take care until next week. And please send me photos of the house and you guys with Davey. I love you. I love you. I love you.
Love you Forever, Colyn

No comments: