Caught in a downpour!

Monday, November 9, 2009

"I love being a Missionary"

November 7, 2009 - Hey Fabulous Family, What a great day it was at Gamarra. I found some really cool things. The best news about this week is that my companion is okay. These three months that we’ve been suffering through were all worth it. Thank you for all of the prayers in Elder Sandoval’s behalf. We went to the hospital on Thursday, but the doctor wasn’t there so we went back yesterday. They took the band off of his foot, which was the most pain that Elder Sandoval had to go through. He said that it felt like the doctor was ripping the skin right off of his leg and foot. He was almost crying because it hurt so bad, and he was making the funniest faces. We both had moments where we were laughing because the pain was very humorous. :) But he’s okay; the bone sealed together. The x-ray doesn’t look like it, but just like skin leaves a scar, so does bone. He has a scar where the bone has sealed together. The doctor told him that he should start to put pressure on his foot, slowly but surely, taking one crutch away, and then being able to walk without crutches. The doctor said that he should be able to walk pretty good in a week’s time. We are all happy for this good news. Elder Sandoval is thankful that he is going to finally be able to leave and teach, just as I am too. I want to start having some baptisms again… During this time of suffering and being basically locked up, I have learned and realized many things, not all of which can be said, but it is written in my journal. Like I have said before, I learned that there is a reason for everything. My companion and I have become closer in our relationship. We get along much better than we did before. I also learned that staying in the house is not a good idea in the mission. It is always better to be out teaching and working, getting people to know the true Church of Jesus Christ, and bringing their souls unto salvation. I thought you’d just like to know that everything turned out fine; my companion doesn’t need an operation, and he will not be going home. We are very happy. :) Other good news: I have gotten skinnier. I am much skinnier than when I was in Iquitos. My belt now fits me good, and I don’t look as chubby in my face, neck, or any other part. I feel much healthier and happier. I was so worried seven months ago that I was going to come home a little bit more chubby, but now I see that there is hope. :) For Christmas I want a huge box full of all sorts of candy… We’re talking: Starburst, Skittles, Butterfingers, Watchamacallit, Rollos, Sweettarts [hard and squeeze kind :)], Laffy Taffy, Junior Mints, Milkyway, Tootsie Rolls, Sour Watermelons, Nerds (for my compi), Beef Jerky, and everything else that you know I like. I just want to satisfy the midnight crave. Oh, and don’t forget about orange sticks in my stocking. It’s tradition for me and Dad to receive them. :) Thanks. A package of good gingerbread men would be accepted. Chase, Go Senior Class Officers!!! You are the most creative and spunky kid alive. I am so glad that you are enjoying your time at school. I really want to thank you again for being in High School Musical with me. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t remember a moment of HSM and the superstar my brother was out there belting on the stage. You’re the greatest Chase. Know that I love you. Dallis, Congratulations on the 4.0!!! That is so awesome! “That’s right, following right in his oldest brother’s footsteps… Oh yeah.” :) Just kidding. But that really is amazing. I told you not to worry about Algebra 2. Just don’t forget about what I have said about prayer. Our Heavenly Father already knows what we need. All we have to do is ask and then do our part as well. I know that he heard and answered our prayers. :) Great job in the tournament as well. Oh man, how I miss baseball. I haven’t seen a baseball diamond in more than a year. I have not seen a single one down here in Peru. Like Utah is full of baseball fields, all of Peru is full of places to play soccer. Everything is soccer; but there is nothing like picking up a glove and a ball, and going out on the diamond to play a double-header championship game. I miss it so much. We have to play when I get home. Keep the glove warmed up. I love you Dallis. Mom, last week was a miracle. I honestly could not believe that we sent the e-mails at the same time. I thought the exact same thing…it was a tender mercy. I can’t even put into words how I felt, but I felt as if we were in the same room, just not being able to hear or see each other. It was an amazing and very comforting feeling, and I am thankful that Heavenly Father gave us that moment. It fortified my strength as well. We are going to make it. “Anything’s possible.” The Mission is possible. I just can’t wait to be able to share a really hard laugh with you. It is going to be the best moment ever. Dad, like I have said before… Thank you so much for the tender heart that you have. If you can call me and Mom crybabies, then we can also call you one. I love you Crybaby. I really do love you. 50 miles is a long way to go without being able to hold back the tears. I know that Dixie Rock was a really spur of the moment decision, and even though you were already in your pajamas and ready to go to bed, I didn’t want to miss the fun and special moment of taking my awesome Dad on a fun spontaneous trip to a place he had never been before. I will never forget that moment, nor will I forget that trip. And you know that I would do it all over again in less than a heartbeat. Like I said, “Just plan the vacation, and I’m there.” I really miss St. George. I have so many memories of living there and being with a really good group of friends. Dixie Rock was one of my favorite places to go, at sunrise, sunset, and in the nighttime. I especially love the nighttime because you can see the whole St. George city lit up, and the Temple stands out as well. It is a beautiful part of this world. I can’t wait to see it again… Dad, just know that I love you to death. Family, I love you so much. Know that everything is going fine and that the Mission is great. I love being a Missionary. It is a great feeling to wake up every day and put the nametag on that says I am a representative of Jesus Christ. I love it. Keep going strong and don’t forget that I love you. You are the best family in the world. Love you forever!!!Love, Colyn

No comments: